Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Frosting

More rai yesterday, so tennis was canceled.  But I reminded myself of this

and I knew what I had to do.  There were about 12 bananas on our counter, and I wanted to find something to do with them besides make a shake or make banana bread, and I found a recipe for these Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream.  We also had two avocados on the counter, so I knew I had a winner.

My avocado 'buttercream' was a far cry from the thick, creamy buttercream I wanted it to be, but it's still a delicious frosting! I think I over-whipped the avocado and the butter to begin with, which made it flat.  Or maybe I just needed more butter?

Anyway, these are a perfect rainy day cupcake.  The cake is super moist, and I love that it uses brown sugar!  I halved the recipe and got eight cupcakes, but I'm including the quantities for a full batch of 12+ below, and the quantities I used for the frosting.  If you want the original buttercream recipe, check here.

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Frosting


from How Sweet It Is

1 1/3 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
1 egg
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cups sour cream*
1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside.  In a bowl, whisk egg and add brown sugar, mixing until smooth.  Stir in vanilla.  Add sour cream and butter and mix.  Stir in dry ingredients, and add mashed banana and mix.  Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into liners.  Bake 15-18 minutes and check for doneness with a toothpick inserted near the center.  Let cool.

*I was out of sour cream, so I used nearly the full quantity of buttermilk, and then another little bit of butter.



Avocado Frosting


1 ripe avocado
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
pinch salt

In a stand mixer, cream avocado and butter.  On low speed, add powdered sugar one cup at a time.  Add vanilla and salt and mix.

Both the cupcakes and the frosting should probably be refrigerated.








No comments:

Post a Comment