Friday, March 30, 2012

TGIF- Brownies

It's finally officially spring break! Believe it or not, this was actually the first full week of school we've had in months.  Between teacher work days, testing, half-days, and holidays, we've had our fair share of time off.  And now...a full week :)  And I have just the way for you to start your weekend, whether or not you're on a break too.  In a word- chocolate.


While I was making these, I thought, anything that starts out looking like this has to be good.  And oh  yes.  Is it ever good.

My aunt had us all for dinner earlier this week, since my cousin and her husband and their gorgeous one-year-old daughter were over from London.  It was great to get together, especially since Elise Renee had just celebrated her first birthday the day before!  My mom volunteered me for dessert duty, and I settled on the recipe for Rosie's Award-Winning Brownies, from The Rosie's Bakery All-Butter, Cream-Filled, Sugar-Packed Baking Book.


They're pretty conventional as far as ingredients go- butter, sugar, eggs, chocolate, vanilla, and a little flour and vanilla.  I also threw in the optional walnuts, because I can't ever get enough of them.  But when it comes to taste, they are out of this world.  I'm in the dense fudgey brownie camp, and I'm not sure whether I'll try any more brownie recipes.  Seriously, these are that good!  I had to bake mine a little longer than the book said, and the top cracked, but that's how you tell that they are homemade and worlds better than anything store-bought, right? ;)


I'd love to share the recipe with you, but since Judy Rosenburg doesn't make it available outside of her book I don't think that's my prerogative.  But if you can get your hands on a copy of the book, check out page 259 before you do anything else.  

Our dessert buffet included the brownies and one vanilla cupcake, for the birthday girl.  And vanilla ice cream, because I don't think my family has ever gotten together without ice cream.


I realize how tiny my brownie and ice cream look in this picture, but they were actually much bigger.  There's no way I would get a short end of the stick with this dessert! :)


All in all, it was a good week.  Busy, rainy, and a little stressful, but good.  And now it's the weekend and time to kick back.  Enjoy yours!

Love,
Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment