Thursday, March 22, 2012

Orange Yogurt Muffins and a Tennis Match

Yesterday was  my first tennis match after being injured!  It was tough and I lost, but it felt so good to be really competing and working hard.  I'm still in the process of getting back in shape, but it'll be so worth it when I do. :)

Tuesday night was our unofficial team dinner, and we went to Tampico like always.  I had the chicken mole enchilada and it was so. good.  I can't get enough of the Mexican rice and refried beans, and mole is chocolate.  Which means it has to be good.


But I had to fuel up before practice, and I splurged on a piece of zucchini bread at a local coffee shop.  It was thick and dense and moist,  everything an afternoon treat should be.  Yum!


We have overnight guests this week, and since I was dying to get back in the kitchen I decided to make some easy breakfast foods.  I chose a recipe from a new cookbook, Breakfast in Bed.  It's a compilation of recipes from bed-and-breakfasts on the West Coast, and all the recipes sound absolutely fabulous.  I really wanted to use some of the plain Greek yogurt we had in the fridge, and these muffins sounded like the perfect way to do that.


Orange Yogurt Muffins


adapted slightly from Breakfast in Bed (recipe from Top O' Triangle Mountain, Victoria, BC)
makes 12 muffins

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp fresh grated orange rind
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3/4 cup plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a medium bowl, combine ingredients through baking soda.  In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and egg.  Add orange rind, juice, and yogurt.  Mix in dry ingredients and stir until just combined.  Fill well-greased muffin tins 2/3 full and bake until muffins test done, about 14 minutes.


I've been eating mine with strawberry rhubarb jam, apricot preserves, and almond butter.  And they are a great way to start the day!

I needed food before tennis again today, and went to the coffee shop, Silver Cup, again.  I don't usually get flavored coffee drinks because they are way too sweet for me, but I was tempted by the caramelized banana latte.  Sadly, I didn't have time to linger over a coffee, so I had the chocolate biscotti dipped in white chocolate.  It definitely helped me power through those approach shots!  :)


I hope your week is going well! We're almost to the weekend.  Have a great Friday!

Love,
Rosie





No comments:

Post a Comment