Friday, March 9, 2012

Balancing Act

I think living a healthy lifestyle comes down to one thing: balance.  There seem to be a lot of fads and complicated rules and diets, and there's not doubt that our culture promotes the idea that physical perfection can be achieved with "three simple rules for losing three pounds a week" or the latest celebrity workout or cleanse.  But who can really say what perfect is? It took me a long time to realize that no one can tell me what my body should look and I don't have to apologize for my body.  My stomach isn't flat as a board and I will never be a Victoria's Secret model.  But I eat a balanced diet and stay pretty active, and I feel good.  I feel healthy and strong, and I think that's the important thing.



One of my strongest lifestyle beliefs is that indulging in the things we love is incredibly important.  So my question is, what is the thing you love to indulge in?  Maybe it's Chinese take-out or gourmet hamburgers with specialty fries or dulce de leche cheesecake.  Whatever it is, go for it! Enjoy it when you want to and love every bite.



For me, the thing I love to indulge in is hot chocolate.  Not instant hot chocolate from the packet or even Starbucks' version (would you believe I've never had it?), but Dagoba drinking  chocolate.  It's rich and nourishing, and so thick that I scrape my mug with a spoon when I'm done.  And I love that it's organic and fair trade, so I feel like the dollars I spend are helping a good cause.  I learned about fair trade a few years ago, and it's a great movement.  There's a local chocolate factory, Theo, that makes organic fair trade chocolates, and they are incredible! You can buy them all across the country, so no matter where you live, please splurge and buy a bar soon.  You'll thank yourself, I promise. :)


Have a fabulous weekend!

Love,
Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment