Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Better Chocolate Chip Cookie

Yesterday I broke my don't-bake-with-shortening rule.  I considered myself something of a purist, committed solely to using real butter in all of my baked goods.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I saw "The Help" earlier this week watched Minny make fried chicken with Crisco...anyway.  I promised my brother monthly chocolate chip cookies at Christmas and it was time to deliver.  

My usual recipe wasn't what I wanted, so I pulled out a battered copy of Betty Crocker's Cookbook and found the recipe for chocolate chip cookies.  It looked good, but I had to commit to using shortening as well as butter...and I am so glad I did.  I'm not a complete shortening convert, and butter is still number one in my book.  But a little shortening spread out in this many cookies never hurt anyone, and made for my brand new favorite chocolate chip cookies!



Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookies

makes 30+ cookies

from Betty Crocker's Cookbook

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour (I used all-purpose)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (my brother doesn't like nuts, so I left these out)
chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream together sugars, butter, egg and vanilla.  



Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.  Stir in chocolate chips, and nuts if desired.




Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about two inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  



Bake 8-10 minutes.  Cool slightly before removing from sheet.




No comments:

Post a Comment