Friday, August 19, 2011

Oatmeal Raspberry Scones

When I think about making breakfast a little more special than cereal or toast, scones never come to mind.  Scones and biscotti have always kind of been one and the same in my book- sometimes tasty, but most of the time just dry and crumbly.  

Until now.

There was an abundance of fresh raspberries in the fridge after my mom and I went to the u-pick farm, and I had complete license to do whatever I wanted.  After combing my 'to try' recipes and not finding anything that sounded perfect, I started hunting through some of my favorite food blogs for ideas.  I love Annie's Eats (and of course I look up to Annie; she's a doctor and she makes amazing food!) and of course it was there that I found the perfect recipe. 

I will admit that these scones are a little crumbly, but the flavor is out of this world and the raspberry/oatmeal combo is genius.  Thank goodness we froze some raspberries, because I am dying to make these again asap!



Oatmeal Raspberry Scones


1 large egg
1/2 cup cold buttermilk
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
pinch nutmeg
10 Tbsp cold butter, grated on a large grated or cut into small pieces
3/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the egg and buttermilk in a liquid measuring cup.  Stir together; set aside.

Whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.  Add the butter to the bowl and toss. Cut the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly.  Pour the egg and buttermilk mixture into then dry ingredients and mix with a fork just until incorporated (will be sticky).  Fold in the berries just until incorporated (be gentle if using fresh berries).  Gently knead the dough six to ten times, just until it comes together.  Portion the dough our into 8-12 scones, depending on your size preference, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.  



Not too pretty at first :) I cut mine into slices before baking instead of making individual scones.



Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.

 
 The scones grew a lot in the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment