Thursday, August 25, 2011

Banana Cake with Fudge Frosting

School is almost here.  I went to orientation a few days ago to get my picture taken and get my schedule, and I even bought a college-ruled notebook at Rite Aid last week.  My summer homework is more of a priority now than it was in July, and I'm squeezing in as much fun reading as I can.

But summer is still here.  We still have two weeks, and my friends and I are doing as many fun, laid back things as we can to enjoy it (in my book, back to school shopping is fun and laid back if it happens at Nordstrom Rack).

Last night I headed out with one of my favorite girls to our favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner and then back to her house for dessert and a movie.  We agreed on the new "Star Trek" and I said I'd bring something sweet.  

I decided on this cake, from Joy of Cooking.  It's a little labor intensive but totally worth it, especially if you get to eat it while watching Chris Pine for two hours.  And if you add fudge frosting to cake and Chris Pine, life is good.  :)





Banana Cake

from Joy of Cooking

Have all ingredients at room temp.

2 large ripe bananas
2 Tbsp sour cream
2 large eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups cake flour*
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
10 Tbsp butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine bananas and sour cream in a food processor and process briefly just until blended.  Add and process eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.

In a large bowl, beat flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt on low speed for 30 seconds.  Add half the banana mixture along with butter.  Beat on low just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 1/2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.  Gradually add the remaining banana mixture in two batches, beating 20 seconds after each addition.  Scrape the evenly batter into a greased 9-inch springform pan and bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly, 30-40 minutes.  




Let cool in the pan on the rack 10 minutes before removing from pan.  Let cool completely on rack.



*A note: I didn't have cake flour on hand, so I made my own using this guide from Joy the Baker.


Quick Fudge Frosting

from Betty Crocker's Cookbook

1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
dash salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix sugar and cocoa in saucepan.  Stir in butter, milk, corn syrup, and salt.  Heat to boiling, stirring frequently.  Boil vigorously, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.  Cool.  Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla.




A note: the cookbook said this made enough for an 8-inch or 9-inch cake, but it was thin enough that I made another batch so there was a nice thick layer of frosting all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment