Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Broccoli Slaw, Shrimp, and Nectarines

I was sitting on the couch yesterday watching "Grey's Anatomy" for the first time (how have I been missing this?) and flipping through an old July issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray, writing down the recipes I want to make, and one caught my eye- Coconut-Crusted Shrimp with Peanut Butter Curry Sauce. I wasn't excited by the idea of serving the shrimp over bok choy and cherry tomatoes, but we had everything else the recipe called for and as far as I'm concerned, you can serve anything over brown rice and it will be good.  

So I jumped off the couch and set the shrimp to defrosting, while I made my second galette in a week! It was with some super ripe nectarines I bought in the morning, and I used the same crust as I did for the strawberry galette.  I was feeling a minimalist vibe, so I sprinkled the crust and then the nectarines with some sugar and cinnamon and put it in the oven.



Before the oven...




And after the oven...


And after the shrimp :)

While the shrimp was thawing, I made a broccoli slaw I'd had my heart set on for a few days.  It came together fast and made a tasty, light summer salad.

Broccoli Slaw

slightly adapted from The Kitchn

several cups (I used 3-4) sliced broccoli florets
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp raisins, plumped in boiling water
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3/4 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
pepper

In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, raisins, almonds, and red onion.


Whisk together the mayo, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar salt, and a few grinds of pepper.  Pour over broccoli and stir to combine.  Taste and adjust salt and pepper.  Refrigerate 30 minutes so the flavors can mingle.  



Back to the shrimp: since I was serving the shrimp differently than how the recipe indicated, I ad-libbed my way through some of the recipe.  It turned out fine, although we thought the curry flavor was dominant and the others were just not there.  Next time I would increase the peanut butter and the coconut, and even add more curry to give the sauce some heat.  It was good though, and the rest of the sauce will probably go over more brown rice and chicken at some point this week.

The recipe can be found in the June/July 2007 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray, or here.




A quick update: pictures of Monday night are on the way!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment