Tuesday, May 15, 2012

brownies.

On Monday nights, a group from church has been meeting at our house for open discussion on social and current issues, and if the topic is interesting sometimes I listen in.  Last night's topic was dealing with death, but it was much too nice an evening to talk about death when I could sit outside on the deck with iced tea and a good book.  I did overhear a few comments though, about people writing their own obituaries.  It made me think- what would I want mine to say?  It's kind of a hard thing to wrap one's mind around and keep in perspective, but I decided on a few things that I would want to be true of me (even if they weren't printed in the paper with my picture in black and white).

I want to spend too much time reading good books instead of drowning in all the negative news stories.


I finally picked up a book by Jodi Picoult since it seems everyone is into them, and I can finally see why! This is going to be hard to put down.

I want to always have time for people.  This is a hard one for me because I always think that what I'm doing right this very second is the priority, but really, people are the most important.  Always.


We visited my grandma in her memory care facility on Mother's Day, and it was nice.  She may be a little different than she was five years ago, but she's still my grandma and I love her to pieces.

I want to have not cared so much about what people think.  Today that meant driving with the windows down, singing to "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun".  Not in an obnoxious way, just a dorky way...haha.

I want to have eaten a balanced diet full of foods that I love, and indulging in the things I love without guilt.  Some of my favorite bites this weekend:


A toasted baguette with honey butter and preserves.  So simple, and so good.


Thai iced coffee at dinner on Mother's Day.  It's not beer...I promise. :)


The cashew chicken salad we ate with dinner.  It was fresh and cold, and perfect for a warm evening.


The iced latte I had this afternoon to cut the sweetness of my after school snack:


This praline fudge bar.  I saw it last week in Silver Cup, but chose something else.  Then today I sat in school and couldn't stop thinking about it.  So I made a quick stop on my way to do a few errands, you know, just because I didn't want to get weak from hunger and collapse in the grocery store.  Two things happened: my day got exponentially better and my dreams of rocking one of the adorable new Victoria's Secret bikinis died.  Which, when it comes right down to it, is okay with me.  Isn't this why we have tankinis? ;)

On that note, meet these brownies.  Not quite like the praline fudge bar, but not so different either- both are dense and rich and packed with chocolate.  This recipe is quick and simple, and if you like your brownies super dark and fudgey then you'll love these! The only hard part is letting them cool before you dig in, but it's more than worth it.

Darlene's Favorite Brownies


makes a 9x13 pan

2 sticks butter or margarine
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
4 beaten eggs
2 cups sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
chocolate chips (the recipe calls for a 12-oz bag, but I never measure for these.  It's one of those situations where if some is good then more is better, so be generous!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 pan.  Melt butter and baking chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water.  Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.  Stir in eggs, sugar, salt, flour, and vanilla.  Add some chocolate chips and stir to mix in evenly.  Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with more chocolate chips.  Bake 25 minutes and check for doneness with a toothpick.  It shouldn't come out wet, but a little moist is good.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment