Friday, February 17, 2012

A Long Weekend

Good morning! I hope your Friday (and long weekend!) are off to a fabulous start.  We're on mid-winter break today through Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to having a nice long laid-back weekend.  The first thing on my agenda is a tennis lesson at the club at one, which is much needed, to say the least.  The season starts in ten days, and I've hit the courts once since summer.  So I'm definitely counting on my awesome coach to ease me back into it :)

I started the break yesterday after school with some time at the library and in the attached cafe.



I've found that you have to be careful who's working there if you want coffee- one barista is is friendly and makes great coffee, but there's one who falls on the opposite end of the barista spectrum.  But I was in luck yesterday and my latte was perfect.  As was the chocolate covered espresso bean that came with it :)

I started another novel by Jeanne Harris, the author of Chocolat, called Holy Fools.  She is an extraordinary author, and I don't think I'll be disappointed with this one.


Tonight is the Sayonara Party, when we officially say goodbye to our exchange students.  All the families are asked to bring a main dish and a dessert, and my mom put me in charge of the dessert.


My grandma was an excellent cook and baker, and this was one of the recipe books she put together.  Since she's in a memory care facility and obviously doesn't cook anymore, my grandpa is giving me many of her cookbooks and magazines.  It's bittersweet, but I'm very thankful.  I chose a recipe out of this one for tonight, and I'm really looking forward to making it.  My love of cooking and baking and my grandma's time in the kitchen never really overlapped, but I feel like this afternoon I'll be in the kitchen with her.

Enjoy your Friday!

Love,
Rosie



No comments:

Post a Comment