Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Exchange Students and Killer Cupcakes

I don't know if you've ever eaten at a Costco food court...but if you haven't you are missing out on something big.  There's something of a tradition in my family that whenever we have foreign exchange students, we take them to Costco on their first day and eat dinner at the food court before we shop.  Shopping at Costco and eating in the food court are undeniably American activities, and it helps that we just plain love having an excuse to go to Costco :)


Here are my parents and our students, Daijiro and Ryo.  The Polish closest to the camera that's loaded with relish and onions and every other available condiment is definitely mine!

They arrived on Saturday, and there's something of a communication barrier, since they speak very minimal English.  The words I know they can use are 'noodles', 'underpants', 'let's go!', and 'hungry'.  Haha.  It'll be an interesting two weeks.

Anyway, today was the first day of second semester! All of my classes are the same except for one, sixth period.  I got put in Fashion Merchandising, and today I learned how to describe my favorite outfit in six ways.  I'm thinking I'll have a lot of time for other homework in that class, so it may not be a total waste...but we'll see.  Sheesh.  Public high school :)

That aside, it was a really good day.  Especially exciting was the food, since I tried two new things today!

Lunch included a Lemon Zest Luna Bar, and even though we had to eat on the stairs of the A building since the library was closed..it was great :)


I had things that kept me downtown after school for a few hours, so I fueled up with one of our Costco purchases, a Nugo bar.  Definitely the chocolate flavor.


I ate this one in my car, but it was still pretty darn tasty.

This past Saturday my day revolved around one thing (besides pigging out at the food court), and that was cupcakes.  I had signed up to take something to church on Sunday, any my original plan was standard peanut butter cookies.  But then I saw this recipe for Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes, and practically had a heart attack.  That's how excited I was.  PB Cookies went out the window and a trip to the grocery store for cream cheese and more cocoa powder (you wouldn't believe how much we go through) paved the way for these beauties.


My picture taking skills are obviously lacking.  For a picture that's blows mine out of the water, check out the recipe.  I kept some at home for our little Super Bowl party, and they were great.  Cream cheese is hard to beat in the first place, and chocolate and cream cheese is a killer combo.

I'm thinking tonight might be a good night to play some Just Dance 2 and ABBA: You Can Dance! with the boys? ;)

Have a lovely Tuesday night!

Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment