Monday, September 26, 2011

comfort food

It's been a while.  Life is speeding up (I'm turning 17 in less than a week!) and this week was one of the busiest I've had in a while.  Things have been fabulous, but today my mama called me at school to say that my grandpa is going to the hospital.  It's not an emergency but there is a definite health concern that needs attention.  So my mom's at the hospital and I'm on my own today.  I sat in my favorite cafe downtown after school with a latte and raspberry scone and did homework, and now I'm home listening to the rain (it's so much more enjoyable when you're inside wearing sweats and a sweatshirt).  It feels like a comfort food kind of day, so I'm sharing one of my favorite recipes for days like this.  I haven't made it in a while and I don't have any pictures, but you can check out the beautiful original recipe here.

17 Bean White Chicken Chili


from Mommie Cooks

1 lb assorted dry beans, cooked according to package directions
5 cups chicken broth
3 chicken breasts
3 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp cold water
1 cup corn
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced green chiles
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 lime, squeezed
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp pepper
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
salt to taste

Cook beans according to package directions.

Add the broth to a large pot and bring to a boil.  Add in the chicken and cook through.

Shred chicken and set aside.

Mix together the water and cornstarch.  Add to broth and boil for a minute until slightly thickened.

Add the chicken back into the broth along with the corn, bell pepper, onion, garlic, chiles, tomato, and lime.

Add in the spices: cumin, chile powder, coriander, crushed pepper, and pepper.

Add the cooked beans into the chili along with the cilantro.

Salt to taste and let simmer on low heat, covered, until ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment