Sunday, April 22, 2012

seeing the tulips

Yesterday we drove north to Skagit Valley, one of the most beautiful parts of Washington State, to see the famous tulips.  It's a huge springtime event around here, and this was my first year actually making it up to see.  Pictures can't do the flowers or the scenery justice- they're absolutely stunning.







I especially like that there's a tulip named Ice Cream.  Unfortunately these weren't in bloom yet.

Some years ago my grandparents brought me a bouquet of Rosalie tulips and I got to see them growing yesterday! 


After the tulips we drove down to the Mount Vernon street fair, which apparently is a huge deal.  The weather was crowded and the streets were packed with people and vendors.  We grabbed some lunch from one of the food stands, and both my dad and I chose the taco salad with chicken.  Underneath all the toppings was a huge helping of lettuce and chicken, which made for a perfect lunch.


Then I moved on to the really good part- ice cream! I got a huge single serving of huckleberry.



It was a great way to get out and spend the day.  My dad and I finished the day by watching "Shutter Island", which had been in our instant Netflix queue for months.  After everything I'd heard I was afraid it might be a little too intense for me, but I really enjoyed it.  Was he really crazy? ;)


It's been a good weekend all around.  Last week I promised my friend Kelsey a cake for her birthday, which is on Tuesday, and so today I made a quick Safeway stop on my way home from church and picked up a few things I needed.  Here's a little peak at what happened:



Later on I'll slather on the frosting and assemble the layers.  And if the spatula I licked was any indication of how the cake turned out, I think this one will turn out to be a real keeper!

I hope you had a good weekend! And have a wonderful Sunday night :)

Love,
Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment