Thursday, April 12, 2012

New Things and Muffins

Number one: Instagram.


Am I the last one to join?  I installed the Andriod app on Monday, and it's just as addicting as Interest (Here I am!).  Whenever there's a dull moment in any of my classes....I think it's time to get updated on Instagram.




Also: chocolate and ginger.  I didn't realize until March 13 how well these flavors go together.  There might have been some cookies made yesterday to take advantage of the flavor pair- stay tuned. :)


Third: whole wheat pastry flour.  Which is where these muffins come in!  I love muffins but they get a bad rap for being one of those foods that sound healthy but are actually really bad for you.  But I'm happy to say that these muffins do not deserve that negativity.  They are moist, flavorful, and just all around delicious.


I made several changes from the original recipe, and I'm absolutely thrilled with how they turned out!  Instead of using half whole wheat and half all-purpose flour, I used all whole wheat pastry flour, and I substituted wheat bran for oat bran.  I also used all raisins and no walnuts and added extra coconut.  If you're in the market for a quick and healthy breakfast, this is the one for you.  Throw on some peanut butter for protein and enjoy!

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins


makes 16 muffins
adapted from Breakfast in Bed by Carol Frieburg

1 egg
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup raisins (or walnuts or a combo)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup coconut
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or half WW and half AP)
1/2 cup wheat bran (or oat bran)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar.  Beat in bananas, raisins, oil, vanilla extract, molasses, and coconut.  In a separate bowl, combine flours, wheat bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Using a spatula, gently fold in banana mixture just until blended.  Fill greased muffin tins about 3/4 full.  Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown and muffins test done with a toothpick.  Turn onto a cooling rack to cool.

Have a great Thursday!

Love,
Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment