Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Lazy Sunday- Parmesan Basil Biscuits

First of all, happy birthday to my lovely friend Victoria!



Her mom called me yesterday to invite me and my parents over this afternoon to surprise Victoria and share a birthday cheesecake with them.  I was thrilled to be able to celebrate with her on the actual day, and it was the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon- drinking tea, eating cheesecake, and catching up :)

That was definitely the highlight of my day, but it's been good all around- I started the day with a decent cardio workout on the treadmill...and I may or may not have spent a good portion of it reading Nancy Drew ;)  I'm still exploring the whole running thing- some days I love it, some days I don't.  What I really don't love is taking two showers every day, which happens if I run.  I'm not willing to get up earlier than I already do, so if I run on the weekdays it means a shower before school and a shower after school.  Which is a big pain in the you-know-what, if you ask me.

I think I've found a way to reconcile my love of exercise with my dislike for the two-shower thing: breaking it up!  Studies have shown that you don't have to get your daily exercise all in one big chunk, which I think is a huge lifesaver (maybe it's not completely as effective, but so much more convenient, and you're still putting in the time).  I've been doing 10, 15, or 20 minute walks on the treadmill several times a day after school, and I am totally loving it!  Way more doable :)

Okay.  Let's move on to something a little more exciting...food! We don't have Sunday dinner traditions like many do, but ours tend to belong in the comfort food category.  Tonight's dinner stayed true to form: chicken bean chili, these parmesan basil biscuits, and a salad.  And I'm telling you as emphatically as I can with only a keyboard that I'm pretty darn sure that these biscuits need to happen in your kitchen.  Soon.

They are flaky and flavorful, and perfect with a little pat of butter.  It takes less than an hour to make them but they are pretty and tasty, so they'd go wonderfully with a comforting dinner, a dinner get-together, or even Sunday brunch.  My only regret is that I only made half of a batch!

Parmesan Basil Biscuits


from "Light and Tasty", Feb/Mar 2002

makes 12 biscuits

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil*
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp olive or canola oil

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well.  Stir in buttermilk and oil until just combined.  Turn onto a floured surface, gently knead three times. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a floured 2.5 inch biscuit cutter (or the top of a drinking glass of about the same size).  Place 1 inch apart on an un-greased baking sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned.  Serve warm.




No comments:

Post a Comment