Friday, August 5, 2011

Small World- Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are a favorite the world around.  Last night was the Sayonara Party, when the host families and exchange students 'officially' said goodbye.  It was a potluck, and since both of our exchange girls agreed the best cookie is a chocolate chip cookie, I thought I'd go with that for our dessert.  I got lucky several years ago in finding my go-to chocolate chip recipe on the first try, one I found in The Boxcar Children Cookbook, called Dr. Brown's Favorite Brown Cookie.  It's a pretty standard chocolate chip cookie, but with brown sugar instead of white- and plenty of butter :)

The only challenging part about these cookies is when to take them out of the oven- the original recipe says 8-10 minutes for a soft cookie and 10-12 for a crisp cookie.  My note says to take them out of the oven at nine minutes, which will give you a pretty soft cookie, but getting them off the baking sheet in one piece is a little tricky.  It helps a little to let them cool a minute-not too long- on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack.

Straight out of the oven, these cookies are irresistible.  I usually eat four the crumbs with the hot pad still in one hand :)

I didn't include quantities for chocolate chips or nuts, just because I've never payed attention to that part of the recipe.  Throw in as many or as few as you like, and you'll still have a delicious cookie!


Dr. Brown's Favorite Brown Cookies


from The Boxcar Children Cookbook


1 1/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
2 cups brown sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
chocolate chips
chopped nuts (I like walnuts), optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs.  Add flour, baking soda, and vanilla.  Mix well.



Stir in desired amounts of chocolate chips and nuts.  Dough will be very stiff.

Space spoonfuls of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake to desired doneness. (See pics below)



The ones in the top of the picture were taken out at nine minutes, and the ones below were taken out at about 10 1/2 minutes.  They are still soft, but look a little more done.  I prefer the crinkly ones :)

These are my best chocolate chip cookies to date, although I've never tried the NY Times cookie or the Jacques Torres cookie.  After everything I've heard, both are high on my list.  Have you made either? Do you have a go-to chocolate chip recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment