Thursday, August 11, 2011

Big and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies

I've done loads of baking since Sunday so I have several (super exciting!) recipes to share, and the cookie recipe wasn't the one I was going to do first.  But last night I was in charge of dinner for only me, and I ate about six bites of baked zucchini (with cheese) before eating four of these cookies while I watched Food Network and crime dramas.  And didn't do any of the summer assignment for AP US History.

I copied this recipe about of The Farm Chicks in the Kitchen by Serena Thompson and Teri Edwards, which you can read about here.  It's a lovely book, and I couldn't let it go back to the library without snagging this recipe.  I didn't have a chance to make it until this week, because we have new neighbors! Although the plate I made for them is definitely still on the counter.  Chances of the plate making it down the street are better now that we have another batch on the cooling racks :)



One of my best friends Kendal had surgery on Monday, and even though she can't eat solid food for a little while I wanted to take her something she can enjoy later.  She's a big peanut butter fan, so I knew anything that included it would be a hit :)   

These are tasty little cookies, and they couldn't be easier.  The only hard thing is waiting for the butter to soften, but I usually nuke it anyway :)



Big and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies

2 sticks softened butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
salted peanuts, for topping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cream the butter on medium speed until smooth.  Beat in brown sugar, peanut butter, honey, vanilla, and eggs, mixing until combined.  Stir in flours, baking soda, and salt.

Drop the batter by 1/4 cup-fuls onto baking sheets, spacing about three inches apart.  Press peanuts on top of each cookie.  Bake until lightly browned-12 to 15 minutes (12 was perfect for me).  Let cool one minute on baking sheets and then transfer to a wire rack.  




I made my second batch of these today, along with a double batch of something that was meant to be spread on a peanut butter cookie- coming later!

No comments:

Post a Comment