Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sad News and Cheesecake Bars

I was planning on making cheesecake bars last weekend, but they got postponed to Father's Day.  I made them on Friday with the intention of taking them to a family dinner at my grandma's on Saturday night.  On Saturday afternoon, however, we got a call that my grandma had had a major stroke during the night and was in the hospital.  We went to the hospital right away and we took the bars, figuring that everyone would need to eat anyway, so we might as well have them.  Both pairs of my aunts and uncles were there, as well as my nine-year-old cousin, and one of my brothers came in from Seattle.  My grandma never regained consciousness, and we finally decided to pull the breathing tube.  It was very peaceful and we were all there with her when she died.  Only my other brother Greg wasn't, because he's working in California, but we talked to him on the phone and kept him updated.  

After everyone was ready to go, we went back to my grandma's house to have dinner and regroup.  She had been planning to make a casserole, and we found the black eyed peas that had already been soaked on the counter.  Instead of trying to pull together something with those, my dad ran out and got a veggie pizza and my aunt made a salad.  We had the cheesecake bars for dessert, and they were a big hit.  I think everyone needed a boost in the blood sugar department.

I brought the black eyed peas home and cooked them, and I'll take them back when we get together today and try making a Texas caviar, which my aunt recommended.  I also made a pumpkin banana bread, which is in the oven right now.  More on those later, but for now some pictures of the cheesecake:






No comments:

Post a Comment