Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Coconut Cream Pie

This is one of those recipes that looks out-of-this world stunning in the picture you see, but looks a little different when you're the one making it- but that's totally okay because the taste makes up for it.  I made this for another family dinner last night.  We've been getting together a lot since my grandma died, and last night we went to a Korean barbecue restaurant, which was a brand new food experience for most of us.  It wasn't really my style, but I'm glad we tried it :)

Then we went back to my grandma's house- the meeting place- for dessert.  I went back a little early and whipped some cream to put on top of the pie.  The whipped cream tasted great and made it look gorgeous before it was cut, but destroyed any chance of my pie looking like jjcain's coconut cream pie.

My mom is a big coconut fan.  My dad is not.  They both loved the pie, as did my aunt, her son, and my uncle.  So I'm counting it as a win.  


Coconut Cream Pie


1 9" pie shell, baked according to instructions
1 15-oz can coconut cream
16 oz half-and-half
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flaked sweet coconut
1 tsp vanilla

In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut cream and enough half-and-half to equal three cups total.  Add egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt.  Bring to boil then reduce to low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.  Remove from heat, and gently stir in the coconut and vanilla.

Pour into prepared pie shell and refrigerate 2-4 hours.  Top with whipped cream and serve.



A few notes: since I was on a big time crunch yesterday, I thought I'd make things easy and pick up a pie crust at the store.  When I got there, I couldn't bring myself to pay three bucks for enriched flour, hydrogenated oils and corn syrup, so I found a quick and easy crust to make here.

Also, if you want your pie to look prettier, use purchased whipped topping for on top.  





My (first) piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment